If you have to take an Uber to work daily, know that there are always chances of mishaps due to your driver’s fault or the other driver’s recklessness.
Truth is, Uber is a very convenient way to get around. But it’s not without its risks. Uber drivers are regular people who may or may not have experience driving professionally. And while the company tries to ensure that only qualified drivers join their fleet, accidents still happen, and injuries can result.
We have compiled five ways you can get hurt in an Uber accident, safety tips to counter the accident possibilities, and what to do if you’re involved in an Uber crash. Read on.
Being Struck by Another Car
As a passenger, you’re exposed to the dangers of not just your driver but also other drivers on the road. To avoid getting hit by another vehicle, make sure that your driver knows where they are going and if possible, try to sit in the front seat so that you can see better out of the windows. If something happens and someone hits your Uber, do not panic.
Follow these steps:
- Stay calm: Being panicked or upset can make the situation worse and make it more difficult for you to get help. If possible, take a deep breath before acting.
- Call 911 immediately: This will ensure that your insurance company knows what happened and can begin the claim process.
- Call your insurance company to let them know what happened.
- Take pictures of the vehicle that hit you and any damage to your car.
Hit-and-run Accident By Your Uber Driver
One of the common causes of Uber accidents is when your Uber driver hits another vehicle and tries to escape the scene. They may drive the car recklessly to flee the scene, injuring you in the process. Or, they may drive the car so fast that they lose control and crash into something or someone else. If this happens, you have a few options, such as:
- Call the police and report the accident.
- If you’re injured, seek medical attention right away. Call your doctor or emergency room to find out if you need to go in for treatment.
Uber Driver Negligently Operated the Vehicle
If you’re injured by an Uber driver who was negligent and didn’t operate the vehicle properly, then you have grounds for a personal injury claim. To prove negligence, you must show:
- The driver owed a duty of care to you or other people in the vicinity
- They breached that duty (or failed to fulfill it)
- As a result, they caused harm to someone
- You suffered damages as a result of the breach.
Inadequate Maintenance on the Uber Vehicle
Uber is a transportation company, and its responsibility is to provide safe vehicles for drivers to use. You are eligible for an injury claim if the Uber vehicle was poorly maintained and caused your injuries.
To prove this charge, you must show:
- The Uber vehicle was poorly maintained: The vehicle’s condition directly caused your injuries
- You suffered damages from the breach: For example, if your Uber driver hit another car because their brakes failed, you can sue them.
- The driver did not warn you of the car’s condition: If you were injured because the driver failed to warn you about a dangerous situation and could have prevented your injuries, you could file a personal injury claim.
- The Uber vehicle was not safe: If the Uber vehicle was unsafe due to its design or construction, then this breach may have caused your injuries.
Injured as a Result of Loose Cargo in an Uber
There may have been cargo that was not properly secured in the Uber vehicle, which caused your injuries. For example, the Uber driver was transporting a load of bricks in the vehicle, and they fell out of the back hatch, causing injuries. This may be considered a breach of duty if you were injured as a result.
Injuries due to Uber accidents are common. And while most passengers do not make an effort to sue Uber for their injuries, if you were hurt due to an Uber driver’s negligence or breach of duty, you may be eligible to recover compensation from them.
If you have been injured in an Uber accident, please contact a personal injury lawyer to see if you are eligible to file a claim. We are sure this article was helpful.